Sunday, June 15, 2008

husbands in the south

Yesterday I was coming back from having lunch with some Labour Party chums in the local market town. I was feeling rather down in the dumps, I must say. Nobody understands what a struggle it is to have a husband who spends some of the week in his office a few hours away down the motorway you know, leaving me alone to look after the children and the nanny, and on top of that champagne at lunchtime always makes me a little maudlin so I really needed cheering up. Then I noticed one of my neighbours across the street. She’s a bit of a local but we always seem to get on quite well nevertheless so I went over for a chat to try and raise my spirits. I struck up a conversation and asked what had brought her into town. ‘My husband has a tour in Kandahar coming up Rilly’, she said, ‘so he’s shopping for new boots’. 'A tour?’ I replied, ‘That sounds rather fun. Kandahar; that’s near Harrogate isn’t it?’ I asked. She looked rather concerned and not, and in my view I'm afraid, about my rather more serious worries. I supposed she must have been wondering whether her husband would finish tiling the bathroom before he went away or something, but really, it’s just just me-me-me with some people, sigh.

9 comments:

Arthur Clewley said...

that's eerily prescient given the anouncement today Rilly. it's Difficult to make a lighthearted comment sometimes on your blog. It would be nice to think that the soldiers having to buy their own kit was just made up though wouldn't it..

aims said...

Ah Rilly - you do have your finger on the pulse of everything don't you?

rilly super said...

Are you suggesting some parts of this blog might have been made up once or twice in the past Arthur?

aims, thankyou for dropping by. I'm not sure about that lately you know. Been having a bit of a problem being the old me recently I'm afraid

Penny Pincher said...

Sorry to hear you've had trouble being your old self Rilly dear. Is it hormonal, financial, or whatever?
Whatever it is be assured we all love and wish you well. Group cyber hug, 8-) love ...

Penny Pincher said...

I came back to say what I popped in to comment on first time and then forgot to say - it's me age you know!

I admire how you made the effort to cheer up your neighbour - even while you were feeling a bit down yourself.

You need to try and meet up with some more cheerful folk - have you tried the local church or the WI? Failing that 'Happy Hour' at the local maybe ....

Penny Pincher said...

I came back to say what I popped in to comment on first time and then forgot to say - it's me age you know!

I admire how you made the effort to cheer up your neighbour - even while you were feeling a bit down yourself.

You need to try and meet up with some more cheerful folk - have you tried the local church or the WI? Failing that 'Happy Hour' at the local maybe ....

Penny Pincher said...

Oooops -

Anonymous said...

Silly Rilly ! When that lady said her husband was going on a 'tour of Kandahar', she clearly meant he was a pop singer in a no-doubt popular 'beat combo' of the kind so loved by our 'youth' these days, with their greased back hair and winkle-pickers.

Come along, dear, you don't want to be getting behind the times and out of touch - ten four daddy-o !

Anonymous said...

Rilly, I am also a tad concerned that 'Wifey's book has not appeared in my local emporium of reading delights..

Perhaps she is suffering from the dreaded 'Writer's Block'.. Maybe you could pop round and help her 'work it out with a pencil..' ??

Two heads really are better than one.